Search this Topic:
Apr 14 17 5:36 PM
Apr 14 17 10:29 PM
Apr 15 17 5:21 PM
Apr 15 17 10:54 PM
Apr 16 17 5:38 PM
Apr 16 17 6:07 PM
Apr 16 17 6:39 PM
20 April, 2017 5:40 PM
20 April, 2017 8:14 PM
21 April, 2017 6:26 AM
21 April, 2017 9:20 AM
MG600 wrote:I wondered the same when I did mine, fortunately I was able to use the back seat squab as it was, even though the operating button has partly snapped off. I suspect it requires a near-full dismantle of the whole seat.
Snapping off seems to be common - mine is the same, and I seem to recall OUR was the same too. I was thinking of making something to replace it, perhaps something that actually sticks out and makes it easy to operate the catch rather than this that always seems to be easiest to use by sticking a screwdriver in it.
Unfortunately stripping the seat doesn't help. I've got the back panel removed, which is only about eight self-tappers once you have the top and bottom strips off, which of course come off to fit the carpet behind them. On the back there is a spot-welded box section rather like the strengtheners on the bottom of the load bay floor, and the "back" of this catch is inside there. The lever won't come out of that box section unless you release the button first. I suspect it's just an expanding bit rather like a rubber grommet and it's perhaps lost some flex due to age.
21 April, 2017 9:22 AM
MV Snoot wrote:I like the term 'plodding on'. Mine feels like that a little at times and I haven't had a quarter of the work you have. It's funny how you get those days when you go out to the garage, almost zombie like, not really knowing what you are going to do, but 15 minutes later you are stuck into that job you have been putting off for ages and had no intention of doing! . . all part of the fun!
21 April, 2017 5:35 PM
Update on the rear seat catch release knob. Yes, the back plate of the seat needs to come off. Once the top and bottom rails are released, and the two plates around the catches and (I think) the two pivots, you'll see a row of self-tapping screws along the top and bottom, which need to come out. These hold the back plate onto the seat base, and once you have the back off you can get to the inside and see this view for the catch release.
As you see, the hole for the pivot is elongated, and you can't see from the photo but the hole that holds the catch in place is also elongated, but in the opposite direction. So when you tap the pivot bar towards the top of the seat (top of the photo), the larger hole allows the catch button to pop out. Compare the position of the pivot with the same in this photo:
So now it's out, all I need to do is figure out how to make a replacement. I've spent a bit of time trying to cut and file one from a piece of nylon, but it's not going well. I might just try to repair the one I have and then take a mould off it, see if I can cast one from something. Unfortunately that will hold the seat rebuild up, as I can't put it back together until this is fixed, or that is, I might get away with it and I might not.
I've had a go at sewing a test piece of carpet edging onto a piece of carpet today, with mixed results. It's very difficult to hold it in the correct place to be able to concentrate on sewing in a straight line.
23 April, 2017 5:19 PM
25 April, 2017 11:51 AM
So, back on to the rear seat catch. I haven't got a lathe, and while a mate has and says I can use it, I've also never used one so I figured there might be some waste involved if I was to try. A dig around the random boxes found a bolt of a reasonable size, and a couple of nuts.
I welded the two nuts together, and built up either end with a bit more MIG, during which process the nuts got stuck to the bolt. I then did a bit (a lot!) of filing and messing around to get to this.
Final job was to weld on a washer of a suitable size, build up the top edge with weld to form something to push against, file it all down, clean it up a bit with "chemical metal", realise I've not done it quite straight, decide no-one will notice, paint it black.
That'll do the job for now, and I'll keep it on my list of things to do later on when the car is done and I've got time on my hands. I don't want to look for a new one because I think the reason they all break is that as soon as someone slides a box or something into the load bay with the seat down, it'll just break again. This won't break, as it's basically solid steel and whatever MIG wire is made of.
Still can't put the seat back together, though, until I can get the carpet edging sewn on. Experiments with my sewing machine suggest it is not up to it, but it might just be me.
25 April, 2017 10:12 PM
26 April, 2017 9:15 AM
© 2017 Yuku. All rights reserved.